Los Cardones National Park is home to many endangered species such as the vicuna and the huemul deer. This park is known worldwide due to its physical formations which resemble the Saguaro National Monument and the Organ Pipe Cactus National Park in the United States. Finally, we will arrive in Payogasta and we will continue descending to find the magical town of Cachi, at the foot of the mountain which bears the same name and is 6,320 metres.
Cachi rises at the confluence of the homonymous river and the Calchaqui River, framed by white peaks and hills at the foot of Cachi Snow-capped Mountain, which is among the 40 highest mountains in Argentina of over 6,000 metres.
The historical legacy is reflected in its people. This town is inhabited by aborigines from Chicoana, who existed long before the Spanish empire. Traditional and staid, this village is typical for its colonial-type constructions, the old houses lying on the very edge of narrow and cobbled streets, emerging from a luminous background of plantations sown with red pepper drying under the sun. Its church dates back to the 18th Century and stands out for its floor, ceiling and furniture made of cactus wood and its adobe walls.
The town has a well-recognized Anthropological Museum where the history of indigenous civilizations is exhibited in 5,000 pieces unraveling a 10,000-year-old story.
- Cuesta del Obispo
- Los Cardones National Park
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Bilingual tour guide
- Air conditioned vehicle
Tour Does Not Include:
- Food & Drinks
- We depart from Salta city to ascend the Quebrada de Escoipe (Escoipe Gorge) and then continue along the breathtaking Cuesta del Obispo (Bishop’s Slope) to finally reach the Valle Encantado (Enchanting Valley), a lonely valley skirted by red mountains, immerse in wild flowers and safeguarded from the imposing birds of the region: the condors. (The enchanted Valley can be accessed only by 4-wheel drive vehicles).
- Next, we will arrive in Piedra del Molino (Millstone) at 3,600 metres and we will go across the picturesque Los Cardones National Park following the Tin Tin straight line which was traced by natives at 3,000 metres. This line shows the evidence of the same perfection as if it had been drawn using hi-tech tools.
- Finally we will visit Cachi. Cachi rises at the confluence of the homonymous river and the Calchaqui River, framed by white peaks and hills at the foot of Cachi Snow-capped Mountain, which is among the 40 highest mountains in Argentina of over 6,000 metres.
Tour: Every Day
Tour Style: Private or Group
Departure Time: Flexible
Duration: 10 Hours approx.
Plan Your Tour
Our helpful and knowledgeable team will be happy to help you. Send us an email/message to make an enquiry, plan your trip or book your tour.