Join us as we ride criollo horses along the mountain paths which have been formed by animals and baqueanos (cowboy). Here we see and learn about the flora, fauna, geology, culture, gastronomy and the history of Mendoza province.
Potrerillos: is located in the Andes mountains, in Lujan de Cuyo & Las Heras, it is an ancient settlement consolidated as part of the construction of the Trans-Andean Railway Station at the end of the 19th century. It is 69 km from Mendoza city, on Route 7 in the middle of the Andes highway. A traditional farming area, it is home to many picturesque spots with distinctive qualities: Las Carditas, El Salto, Las Vegas, Valle del Sol, Piedras Blancas and Vallecitos ski centre. This is the perfect location for an informative and enjoyable mountain experience.
- Lujan de Cuyo & Las Heras
- Horse Riding in the Andes Mountain
- Private transfer
- Lunch: BBQ
- Baqueano (cowboy)
- Calm Criollo horse with saddle.
- First aid-kit
Tour Does Not Include:
- Anything that is not stated on the itinerary
- We leave the city at 08.00 am and head for one of the most beautiful places in the province. Potrerillos is located in the foothills of the iconic Cordon del Plata, at 1900 meters. The mountain scenery and cabins scattered throughout the valley make this is a special place, where the mountain, sun and river merge. The majesty of this framework, along with the beauty of the natural surroundings, clean air, climate and the mountain atmosphere is the ideal setting for this activity.
- Just after 9.30am we arrive at Don Rafael Moreno's house. Don, our baqueano is a horse breeder and the owner of the land we are about to explore, his family were one of the first families to inhabit this territory. While preparing the horses we have the opportunity to try the traditional Argentine drink, Mate.
- Shortly after we ride our horses along a narrow path, a steep climb leads us to a church view- point; from here you can see the entire Las Vegas valley scattered with cabins and steams.
- Now, we leave the village and begin to ride through "La Quebrada de Las Vacas" (the valley of the cows) along the banks of the river that bears the same name and gives life to these immense Altitude wetlands (the most bio-diverse site in the area with nutrient-rich soil where horses, goats, cows and other livestock graze). Continuing on our journey the path leads into a narrow canyon, after riding for nearly an hour and a half it is time to dismount our horses and take a short break, which we do here, next to a cave and a small melt-water waterfall.
- After resting, we continue on our journey taking another canyon and a slightly steeper climb, to conquer the surrounding hilltops. From this point we can see all the snow-capped peaks of Cordon del Plata and the incredible places where only animals and experienced climbers venture.
- After 3 hours making our way along the huge Altitude Pampas we have the chance to spot one of the worlds largest birds in all its glory, the Andean Condor. With the use of binoculars we can see herds of guanacos grazing with horses and goats on the hillsides. The path guides us through several streams until we reach a rock which was carved by the ancient Indian inhabitants of this area. Shortly after the path becomes inaccessible, we have reached our highest point, here at 2700 meters we take in the most beautiful views of Potrerillos Reservoir and enjoy lunch.
- After lunch we begin our return of two hours through the Quebrada de Las Vacas until we reach the entrance to the property, where our transfer is waiting. After a great days adventure we say farewell to Mendoza's mountains and head back to the city.
- End of excursion, return to Mendoza city.
- This is a horse riding excursion on mountain trails in the Potrerillos area, here you will see: the traditional buildings, Criollo customs, aspects of Mendoza culture, the mountain landscapes unique to South America, natural formations such as Las Vegas, melt-water streams, native flora (e.g jarilla, chanar) and wildlife (e.g condors and guanacos.)
- Hat with visor
- Sun screen
- Strong and comfortable boots or shoes
- Warm coat (if possible water-proof)
- Long, comfortable trousers or jeans
Conscious of our impact on the environment, we work responsibly to respect natural areas and make the least possible impact during our activities. We want to provide an experience that will remain with you forever and invite you to be part of this adventure riding horses on Mendocino land in the heart of the Andes
Tour: Every Day
Tour Style: Private or Group
Previous riding experience: Not required
Pick-up Time: 8.00am
Duration: 10 hours
Plan Your Tour
Our helpful and knowledgeable team will be happy to help you. Send us an email/message to make an enquiry, plan your trip or book your tour.